The Tyranny of Attrition

“Now in these dread latter days of the old violent beloved U.S.A. and of the Christ-forgetting Christ-hanuted death-dealing Western world I came to myself in a grove of young pines and the question came to me:  has it happened at last?”

-Walker Percy from Love in the Ruins

October is the cruelest month
(Or was it September?)
(Or is it all of them?)
I don’t know anymore
I’ve stopped counting

You don’t need a compass to know which way is up
Despair, Guided by the torpor of stale air
The last thought that went through Junior’s mind
Was how much the horizon looked like the ocean

Because this is The Season of the Witch
Must be The Season of the Witch
Must be The Season of the Wi-tch

Oh Dr. More
We’ve become so much less
Your you-topian dreams
Transmogrified
Into an I-topia of silent screams
And ponzi schemes

Because this IS the wasteland
And WE are doomed
As the milk of human kindness
Reaches its much anticipated expiration date
Evaporating, The Armageddon of the Spirit
Echoes of Narcissus
Gazing
Lifelessly
We know that we are dying
(Be it one at a time)
(Or all of us at once)

Because this is The Season of the Witch
Must be The Season of the Witch
Must be The Season of the Wi-tch

The Absence howls
To be filled by nothingness
The Presence mocks us
With its promises of illusion
You don’t need a stethoscope
To hear a heart that’s not beating

Our differences are not nearly as terrifying as our similarities
The weight
Too great
The universe has forgotten how to protect us
(Or never wanted to know)
So far, from our-Selves
In the wasteland, there is no Up

Because this IS The Season of the Witch
Must be The Season of the Witch
Must be The Season of the Wi-tch

, , , , , , , , , ,

1. #1 by John Erickson on October 22, 2011 - 3:16 PM

Well, JEEZ, ain’t you just a boxful of sunshine wrapped up in a rainbow! What’s got your backside ballasted bottom-heavy? 😀
    (Sorry, another site has got me in alliteration mode.)
    “And it was dark, and as I looked unto the West, I behold,
    “Dawn. First light of a new day.
    “Brilliance fading into mushroom grey,
    “As all life and being grows cold.”
    (My own composition, based on a novel about World War 3)

2. #2 by Keith Spillett on October 22, 2011 - 3:33 PM

Yeah! I’m thinking of moving from this to children’s books.

I like your verse, sir. Quite good stuff. World War 3 was lousy. I’m happy America defeated the Greenlandians and the giant bee people. Now, we are safe.

3. #3 by afrankangle on October 24, 2011 - 6:53 AM

Cripes … The Season of the Witch …. sounds like a plug for Michelle Bachmann’s comeback!

4. #5 by Eto on May 24, 2012 - 2:37 PM

Mr. Garr and Staff, thank you for inviting Aazim and Myself to speak at the Grand Opening and Book Signing for Garr’s Auto Body Shop. My Non-Profit Corp. Save A Heart Save A Mind is work in pgesrors and need to be associated with your greatness. You are a REAL MODEL to the community and the world today. So Let Go To Work lu4ever Susan

5. #6 by Bo Bandy on May 5, 2014 - 10:27 PM

One doesn’t run across ‘torpor’ very often. Good thing you didn’t try to use that as your rhyming word because anything you come up with will incur the wrath and ‘tyranny’ of spellcheck.

‘Transmogrified’ is another nice $10 word. One surely to have itself in the definition. I liked the stethoscope part and milk of human kindness having an expiration date. Clever stuff.

• #7 by Keith Spillett on May 6, 2014 - 7:37 AM

Thanks Bo. Most of it is based on Walker Percy’s “Love In The Ruins” which I feel is one of the greatest novels ever written. Having written a poem containing Donovan lyrics, a JFK Jr. reference (Junior) and TS Eliot feels like some odd post-modern accomplishment. But these are the cheap thrills one can achieve in a society that neither creates nor destroys. Or something.